Sunday 16 June 2019

Clouds Wind & Rain

A few weeks ago I had a pedicure and decided to take a PhotoWalk afterwards. There seemed to be a snag in my plans as it appeared as if it was going to insist on raining on me. However, I was prepared for just such an even as I had my rain poncho with me so that I could just slip it on and use it like a tent for my walker and the basket contents as well. I had to use the poncho while I waited for the bus from the appointment location to wherever I was going to go next, but by the time I was on the bus it did stop sprinkling. Where I was planning to go was still up in the air, but I was leaning toward the Bridgeport bridge, where I knew there were trails that would be easy to navigate.

I took the bus downtown to the terminal and as luck would have it, the bus route changed over to the route I wanted to get to Bridgeport. That completely settled it for me, and I stayed on the bus. Even more fortunate for me was the fact that one of my favourite bus drivers was going to be driving this route. We chatted all the way out to Bridgeport, and he was somewhat concerned that I might get wet. I told him I had that all under control, and he wished me well. Little did he know that I would return home with over 550 photos before finished the day.

As we had passed Victoria Park on our way to Bridgeport I noticed that the magnolias were in full bloom so I also stopped there on my return from Bridgeport, before I went all the way home. Here are just a few of the beauties I saw and a bit of the story of how I avoided getting too wet.

Once I got off the bus, I walked across a grassy green space beside the Grand River and you can see the Bridgeport Bridge through the greenery.


The Grand River is also visible through the greenery.





This picture was taken of the green area. In the past it was known as the General's Green.

The first good glimpse of the Grand River.

Here you can see the plaque that is shown in the next picture. It tells a bit about the bridge.


A clear view of the Grand River as it flows toward Cambridge. The clouds were quite interesting all afternoon as I was taking photos.


A shot along the edge of the bridge shows Bridgeport buildings on the opposite bank.

This bridge is built in a similar fashion as the bridge at Bridgeport.

I found it quite interesting when I noticed the maple leaves on the lamp globes along this bridge.


Now that I am across the bridge, I can get a shot of the area where I had been dropped off by the bus.

Several businesses are visible in this photo.

A glimpse of the path that I will be taking later to find shelter when it started to rain.

I don't know if this female mallard is shy or if her nose was cold. It was quite windy and it could be her nose was cold.

I noticed that she didn't even take it out when this male mallard came floating along.

The path I took later to get under the bridge, and also to the other side of the bridge, without having to cross the busy street.




This path was there so I didn't have to go the long way around to access the trail along the river further down the river.


A number of photos were taken as I kept an eye on the sky, and progressed toward the south, hoping it would not rain.








So far it hasn't rained so I am continuing on, stopping often to capture new views.






I kept my eye on the sky and the distance I would have to travel to the bridge in case it rained heavily.










I took this picture just before I put my rain poncho on to return to the bridge, as it was starting to rain, and not just sprinkle. This gives you and idea how far I had to travel to get under the bridge, and out of the rain.


The next few photos were taken from under the bridge, and out of the rain.


At one point I thought the rain had stopped and started out from under the bridge which was working like a rain shelter for me, when it began to come down some more.




I did manage to get a few photos before I had to scramble for cover again. This one shows the dry spot where I had taken and will take more shelter again.

Since it was raining some more, and I had no idea how long it would, I decided that while I sat here I may as well have my lunch. Thankfully I had packed some food and drink to keep me nourished and hydrated.

This is my view under the bridge when the rain came down quite heavily.

Once I was out I took a closeup shot of the opening that takes a creek or something from the Grand River all the way over to Willow Wells and has walking trails that I'm going to have to explore soon.

Finally it has cleared enough that I will venture further to the north side of the bridge, and along the river.


Some of the pictures along here are of the river and some are of the Bridgeport neighbourhood along the river on both sides.




These vines were strewn on the rocks and caught my interest.









This tree looks like it has been hacked off at the top and branches have grown below that area.







This yard has some animals, including hens and roosters in it.





A closeup of the chickens.





My first thought was, is it a dragon?











I have walked along this trail before but usually in the autumn so the colouring is quite different in the spring when the leaves are just starting to come out.





















This red-winged blackbird seemed to think I had to capture him before he finally flew away. So I got my camera out and took aim.

At about the same time I notices a lilac bush down near the river and took a couple of closeups of the branches.









I knew I was coming close to the end of the public trail here and I kept moving forward till I just could not get any further because the stone fence and posts were too close together.









I didn't know if I had captured that hawk as it was flying or not but was real thrilled to see I had when I downloaded the photos when I got home.






Along here the shrubbery was thicker and it was a bit more difficult to capture good shots of the river. But I kept on to the end.




This magnolia bush was real pretty against the backdrop of that house.














Having to turn around and head back because I could not go any further, took some closeups of some of the scenery and foliage along the way.






When I got back to the main trail I took a shot of the bird feeder and flower plants hanging on this trellis.

I was quite a distance from the bridge when it started to sprinkle again so I put my poncho back on and kept trucking till I came near the bridge and under the shade of a large tree. Thank goodness I didn't have to be afraid of thunder or lightning that day.


























This shot was taken once I was standing in the shelter of the tree, and within a very short period of time it cleared for a while, giving me more time to capture shots from the north side of the bridge. It took me 12 minutes to walk approximately 400 metres after I got my poncho on once it started to sprinkle.

I took some more pictures from this spot and then traversed the walking trail on this side of the bridge.


This is a bird's eye view of the trail that I came up on when I left the security of the bridge over an hour before.

A view across the Grand River from the east side of the bridge, on the north side of the bridge.

I don't know if this is the same pair of mallards I had taken a photo of earlier or not.

Swimming away.

A different vantage point of the opening to the creek.


I was not taking too many photos along here as I sensed that it would soon rain again and I captured the most important ones as far as I was concerned.


There were two turkey buzzards on the rocky area down there.



You can see the sky was getting darker.



As I crossed the street at the roundabout, I caught a few raindrops, and as soon as I was on the sidewalk I put on my poncho again. Just as I was approaching the bus was coming and I waved it down. A very nice driver stopped and picked me up out of the rain. I was glad to be in a dry spot, even though the bus was not going where I thought it was. It took an hour and ten minutes to get downtown from the bridge because I took the long way around.

Once I got to the downtown terminal, which is right across Joseph Street from Victoria Park, I went into the park and noticed these beautiful daffodils just outside the entrance.


Right inside the entrance of the park were these tulips that were what call Easter egg coloured.



And now I was able to capture the magnolias that I had spotted when I was on my way out to Bridgeport 3½ hours earlier. And they were worth the wait.




I am still keeping my eyes on the sky as the clouds are still looking ominous.


The clouds seem to be roiling but I want to capture more of at least the entrance and all the beauty, at least as far as the clock tower.


You can tell how windy it is by the flag on the clock tower this afternoon.


































There were also double tulips in the flower bed by the magnolia bushes.







And the tiny daffodils were in full regalia.





I don't know what these plants are, but if I were to guess, I'd say, maybe a Joseph's coat of some kind.

I had noticed the double yellow tulips by the cement guitar case, but not the yellow irises. It was with pleasure that I captured them here.

There were also other colours of double tulips and I don't know what those deep pink flowers are.

Another angle of the case and its surrounding beauty.

So far it has not rained since I came into the park, although the grass was quite wet, and I probably should have stayed on the trails but then I would not have seen everything that I did discover...


... Like these beauties.

... and this scenery...
... or seen the flag almost tearing up as it fluttered in the wind. I did actually take a video of it at one point as it was so active I could not capture the motion any other way.


I looked back over the terrain toward the bus terminal just behind that wall in the centre left.

City Hall is straight ahead here between the flanking magnolias.

A few more shots of the scenery as I saw it before heading back to the terminal and home.


And a closeup of some magnolias.


These daffodils were also attractive and were dancing in the wind.



There is not water in this pond today.



And then I was by the red tulips I had seen a bit ago from the other side of the park.





This steamer trunk is too heavy to use for travelling, but it makes me want to pack a bag and hop onto a Via train to some destination where there are more beautiful trails to walk and capture more beauty.

But meantime, here are a couple more shots of Victoria Park.







While I was researching some information for this story, I came across more trails that I have to explore before I take of to destinations beyond the local area. There is so much to see right here in my own city and I'm enjoying discovering it all. May God bless you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment