Sunday 9 June 2019

Trillium Beauty in Steckle Woods

The weather was very tempting on May 21st and as I had seen the trilliums were out in Steckle Woods, I got myself some food ready and some coffee and headed out to there by GRT. It was later in the afternoon by the time I got to the bus stop that I started off my walk into Steckle woods. I also found other flowers and, thanks to a fellow who was walking his dog, a number of different colours of trilliums. You will only get a sampling of what I saw that day as I came home with over 550 pictures.

This trip into Steckle Woods was only my second one and this time I was able to navigate it a lot better because the fallen trees were cut away where they were over the trail. The last time I was there in 2014 there were a bunch of trees that had fallen across the paths and I was thankful that I only had my cane to navigate. Some of the trees had to be shimmied over, while others were short enough that I could go around them.

Many of the pictures were taken with my cell phone and some were taken with my camera as I could not zoom in to get good shots of some of the things I wanted otherwise. There were also birds to be heard and spotted flying around but I was in there with the sole purpose of capturing trilliums. I also saw yellow violets, trout lilies, and a yellow bell-like flower that I have no idea what it is.

The first few shots were taken almost as soon as I entered the woods off Bleams Road.








The trilliums were so close to the path here that I just bent down and took shots of them closeup.









Here you can see the trail dropping off toward the middle of the woods, with trilliums, stumps and many other beauties along the path.








I saw some pink tinted trilliums soon after I entered the trail.







There are a lot of fallen logs and branches all throughout the woods.
































I really like the setting and background for this trillium.











There were a lot of stumps, in varying stages of decay.













These are the yellow flowers I have no idea what they are.




This stump had three different angles that I could get a shot of it, and each one was an interesting aspect of the same stump.







A closer view of the yellow flowers.


















I stood at the bottom of this incline and wondered if this is the one that I was told had many different colours of trilliums on it. There is only one way to find out. And so I ventured on.


I wasn't even finding very many trilliums on this trail, and then it went down into an incline.











I decided that I had taken the wrong path so I went back to the part where I was a bit before and took the path to my left.






I'm really glad I did as I found a lot of beautiful scenery plus the trilliums.






























 I have a couple pictures of looking up through the treetops.

























Above: This moth kept flitting around me as if inviting me to capture it with my camera.

Below: This trillium was a bit different with the green in the middle of the petals.




A trout lily all by itself with the stump as a backdrop.





















The trilliums in the photo above were very interesting.


And then I found these pink trilliums.



























This red trillium has the log for a backdrop and was really beautiful.


















This violet seemed to be shy so I helped it to look up so I could capture it.




















This is still not the top of this hill. But I had made it this far and was not about to return home till I reached the highest point here at this location.


Another green hearted white trillium.






This looks like a hitching post to me. Although I didn't see any horse tracks.

















I was sitting on my walker, checking the time and calculating what times the bus would be available across the woods from where I was when I saw this Jack in the Pulpit.




I took this shot on my way back to the bus shelter.










I had actually captured this log on my way up but didn't see it till I was selecting my photos for this blog.













On my way toward the bus shelter I came across this log with fungi on it.





Trilliums right behind the bus shelter.











Finally the bus arrived and I was on my way home to download and go through all the beautiful photos I had taken. I had another day of spending time in God's beautiful world.


No comments:

Post a Comment