Sunday 14 July 2019

New Discoveries on Forwell Trail

As I keep checking out the trails around the city and region that I can access by using our buses, or walking to them, I find beauty that I didn't know existed and having a lot of fun in the process. After my haircut on July 3rd I saw that it was going to be nice and I could take a walk along a trail. When I spoke with my hairdresser about where I was going to go I made the decision as to where that would be.

I had been investigating some trails and discovered one that goes for several miles, starting at a spot that there is a bus stop a short distance away. My hairdresser told me of a former client that she had who used to walk that same trail every morning and how beautiful it was. Having taken that trail for part of the way, I can attest to the fact that it is gorgeous.

The amount of distance I travelled was just over 2km/1.2m, and I covered that amount of distance in approximately 2 hours. Part of that time I stopped and had my lunch once I found a spot that was off the side of the trail where I could sit in the shade and out of the way of lunch time walkers from the offices close to the trial.

So, come join me as I head out into the unknown and find a lot of beauty.

I was able to see this sign as I got off the bus, so I headed toward the trail and what it might include.




I knew the trail went along behind the large office building that was just to my right and here you can see some of the industry across the street from where I am right now.

I didn't know that there was any water along here so I was happy and surprised at the same time to discover this fact.



There was a huge scotch thistle plant right beside the rail on my right and I was able to capture a closeup of two of them.




It was beginning to get quite warm by the time I got out here but the sky was perfect for photography. It was also getting close to noon hour so that can be a hot time of day.



This was my first actual glimpse of the creek. It was quite low, but still had some beauty to it. There were a lot of beautiful wild flowers along the edge and in closer to the creek.


The flowers and greenery around the creek and along the trail added to the noon hour beauty of everything.


I was glad for the railing as I was able to lean against it and get shots that I would not have dared to attempt without it.



Here you get a glimpse of the office building that is right along the first stretch of this trail.




I almost stepped on these morning glory flowers, but happened to notice them and stooped down and captured them.




There were quite a few daisies along the side of the creek at this point.



I don't know if those trees on the other side of the creek are late in coming out in leaf or dead trees, but they give a lacy edge to the skyline.



From here I happened to capture a bus across from where I disembarked to head down this trail. There are a lot of traffic lights out there.



Getting a glimpse of the creek through the shrubbery.






 


I discovered that there were some beautiful flowers and trees just behind me, right by the office building.










These pink flowers were quite bountiful along this stretch of the path and I just had to take a closeup of a few of them.




I didn't realize that this plant was taken as if in a portrait with the background in a muted style. That was definitely not planned. But I love the look of it and also the pink flowers.


These Sweet Peas were partly in bloom and also had some pea pods forming on the plants.



There were many shades of green to be seen.








There were also a bunch of burdock plants along the trail here.








There is an ungroomed path here that leads down to the creek, but it had a lot of spider webs which indicated that people didn't normally travel down it.


I went in partway till the mosquitoes started to attack, so I retreated.



The trail is a winding one and you can see the twist in the distance.


This is the other side of the same path.



Taking a shot of the beauty I have already passed, from a different point of view.




I kept looking back to see if I was clear of the office building before I sat and ate my lunch. Here you can still see some of the building, so I kept on travelling.















Some old, dead, fallen trees with their root sticking up.





I spotted this tree trunk that had some amazing patterns in its bark.
























































And then I found the perfect spot to sit and eat my lunch. There was a clearing that is set back in far enough that I could sit right back off the trail, and it was cooler than out on the trail itself.


I sat in the shade for approximately 20 minutes, and then proceeded further East along the trail.




I took some photos around where I was sitting while I was eating.







I noticed that it seemed to have heated up quite a bit while I was in the shade but I had a destination in mind and was determined to reach it.




Once I was back out on the trail I started to move a bit more quickly but still snapping photos as I went.




Then I came on an open space and it was beautiful.






It must be nice to live this close to such beauty.







There was a huge boulder in the middle here and I was almost tempted to go and sit on it, but it had no shade.





This is another cleared area that I could have had my lunch in if I had not found the other place first.













These two trees worked nicely as a frame of the trail that I was about to take.


Another trail marker.






And then suddenly I came on a street and had to look around to see where to go next.


I noticed a trail off to my right and proceeded to investigate it.


Just inside the entrance I found this interesting tree trunk.




To my right I spotted some water through the trees and went back out to the street and found where the creek flows under the street.
Above: To the left when I turned left onto the street.

Below: To the right and across the street.


The view of the street and the trees from the second shot of the creek.



Now to get back across the street and head onward toward my goal.


A part way up the trail.





















And then I found another spot that I could get down closer to the water.




 


Just as I was about to turn and go back to the path I saw a mallard resting in the shade.












I had come to a trail that led up to a street and I went to see the name of the street. It was Dearborn, and I remembered that name as a flash from the past. And then I saw a pond, or at least a swampy area. Even though it was getting hot I kept on trucking.


























Then I found another trai that led down down closer to the water and went exploring yet again.


I might see this beauty from the top of this trail but I get a much better view by coming down close to it.



Some of this I could not have sen from up there.











And once I was up on the trail again I headed toward what I was to see ahead.


Looking back you can see where the trail goes of to the left from this vantage point.












My face is read from the sun, not a reflection from the top I had on.


Beautiful wild roses and the sad part is that they were pas their prime.



And then I found some directional signs that gave an approximation of where I was.
When I saw this sign I debated about making my way to Lexington Road, but I had spotted an indication of a bridge and had to see if the path went under it.


From here it looks as though the trail might go under, or else it has to go over the bridge. I must investigate this now that I am this close.





After a few yards of travelling I found the path under the bridge.


And there is even shade to be had there.






Above: Looking back to where I entered this cool, shady place
Below: You can see the haze from the sun.


Even when I got closer to this end it still looked hazy.


So I rested in the shade for a few minutes and tried to figure out what I would do once I got out of here.


As soon as I came out int the sunlight I knew that I would make my way home once I came to somewhere that I could catch a bus.


There is another path to Lexington Road on this side of the bridge, so I looked all around and decided to get up to that street and see where on it I am.



Above is the path that I will continue on next time I come out here.
Below are some more shots taken right here at the exit area that I wanted before I left this area.









































As I left this area and came out onto Lexington Road I discovered that I knew exactly where I was. Now I headed for the bus stop and thankfully the driver waited for me so I didn't have to wait another half hour. The bus trip home was an adventure of another kind.

No comments:

Post a Comment