Tuesday 25 September 2018

Rivers And Meadows PhotoWalk

I left you in the meadow as I was travelling along the Health Valley Trail (HVT) and today will share more of the beauty that God has granted me to see, photograph, and share with you.

Once I walked further into the meadow I saw water, bullrushes, and so much more. I was thankful for the sunshine as it made so many nice reflections on the edge of the river. The fall hues of plants is also showing very nicely in the pictures.

It would have been easy to just sit and enjoy the beauty all around me, but I also knew that there is a deadline of time for me to be out there on the trail. If I remember right there was a sign that said the trail is open between sunup and sundown, and I knew that the day before sundown had been 7:21pm for our region. Here is a link that tells about the the HVT: Health Valley Trail.

Because I knew it would be quite a length of time that I was out on my walk, I had taken along a thermos of coffee and some food to eat. In the past, and on this day I discovered that I get so sidetracked that I forget to eat. As the temperatures were fairly warm, I did drink more often.

This first photo Is very relaxing, and once I was in the shade of the tree, the air cooled off considerably. I was very thankful for the breeze that was blowing that day.


Just before I captured this shot I saw a large bird swoop down near the rock that is up in the middle of the river there, and then up into a tree on the right hand side. I was not able to see it, even using my zoom. So I can't tell you what kind of bird it was.








After a brief rest, I decided I needed to continue as I was probably about halfway along a trail that is 5.1km/3.2miles in length. As I did, I was able to get more of the river in my shots.




And then I came out in a meadow where there was an alfalfa field. The yellow butterflies that I had seen before were here too, and they were in great abundance. One of the ladies I chatted with stated that there were more than she normally sees. Maybe they came out just to give me the pleasure of seeing them. Not sure, but it made me feel free.


At this point the river was just peeking through the grasses, shrubs and trees that for some reason were already bare of foliage.




Suddenly I was able to see the river again in much closer proximity than before.




There were times along this trail that I wished I had my cane with me so I could venture out closer to the river, but that will have to happen another time.


This field doesn't look as large as it seemed that afternoon when it seemed to never end. The alfalfa field was on my left, and the sun was fairly hot too, but...


... On my right there were spots that I could see the river showing through between trees and shrubbery.




Although you can't see them, the butterflies were just flitting all over the field.


I kept hoping I would see the large bird that I had seen before but up to this point I had not done so.






This was another time I wished that I had my cane, but I did venture in as far as I dared without it. I probably could have got down close to the river, but not back up from there. And my safety is more important than attempting to do something that could jeopardize it.


















Ever since I had been told about the farmer's meadow where I might meet up with cattle, I kept wondering how much further I had to go before I arrived at it. Little did I know when I was at this spot that I was within a few yards of the entrance to the cow pasture. When I told was about the pasture, the person telling me also stated that when she was there she didn't see any cows. I was actually hoping to see cows, but am also glad that there were none, so I could sit and stare as long as I wanted to. This statement made me think of a poem I learned in public school called "Leisure" by William Henry Davies. I also made a friend during the time we met and chatted in the cow pasture or meadow.
There were a number of warning signs along the way. However, I really like the cheeriness of the statement, "Happy Hiking!" This sign was posted on the farm gate to the cow pasture/meadow.


Now that I am in the pasture/meadow, I took one more look at the gate and then headed out with the idea of a new adventure and trying to decide whether I take the trail to the right or left. Many times on this trip I thought of Robert Frost's "The Road Not Taken" and the statement, "Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference." I honestly don't know if I took the one less travelled, and will have to go out there some other time and take the trails that are not so close to the river and see if they were worth it or if I took the best trail, despite the circumstances.


Where I had entered the pasture/meadow I noticed that the trail to my right took me closer to the river. It also had a steep incline that I had to manoeuvre with my walker and try to do it safely. My experiences, even the ones I had learned while on this trail earlier in my travels that day, gave me confidence that I could, and would make it down to the lower pasture safely, and thus be able to enjoy the beauty I was able to behold because of my daring.


Here, in the cool meadow I was able to relax and enjoy my venture into the unknown. I was well aware that I might encounter hikers, bikers, or even cattle while I was here, but that didn't bother me.


Just ahead is the trail I chose to not travel that day. So off to the right I go and have to see what all awaits me out there.


After navigating the hill, I came out into a huge open area that had the river to my right and so much lush green meadow and beauty all around me.


To my left there were trees that shaded me and also provided coolness to the meadow.


Now I could literally say I was walking on a cowpath.


Although you can't really see it, there is an electric wire fence all along the pasture to keep the cattle away from the river. It can have a shocking effect if one bumps into it. Having grown up on the farm, I know that it is not very wise to touch it. Our wire was a barbed wire, but this one was just a heavy gauge wire strung between steel posts spaced periodically along the short grass line.


I could not have ducked under the wire to get closer to the river and at times wished I was taller than I am, but nevertheless, I did get some very beautiful scenery shots.


Looking back along the, almost invisible trail that I had manoeuvred, the sky, trees, and meadow are so beautiful and inviting.


The clouds in the sky were so interesting. It would have been great to get in closer to the river and maybe have some sky reflections in the shots too.






Just this side of that tree on the left, there is an indentation where the wire is in further and I was able to step closer to the river...


As I stepped there, all of a sudden there was a scattering of many Mallards that were sheltering just below the edge where I could not see them. I managed to capture the next three pictures in one, and cropped them so I could show you how they were flying. Normally I try to get birds to scatter so I can capture them in flight. This time I did it without trying to.






I didn't count how many there were, but my guess is that there were about 20 or more. They didn't settle easily, even after they got to the far bank, and I'm guessing that it was hotter over there in the sun than the shade that they had on my side of the river.


I felt so blessed to see and also capture the Mallards in flight. And this setting is so much more beautiful than being in places like Victoria Park or a groomed park setting.


As I am looking at these photos and remembering my trip along this trail I was made to think of the phrase "God's Wonderful World". I am not preaching, but I know that this is not manmade and I just have to give praise to the Maker of all this beauty.











As I was taking these photos of the river, I was also moving ahead about 10 to 20 steps between each shot, so that I could get new vantage points to capture the river and its beauty.








Because I was out in the open meadow more, I was beginning to feel the heat of the sun again, and I had in my mind that I would rest in the shade that is straight ahead on the trail...


...But just a few more photos had to be captured before I arrived where the shade was dense enough for my satisfaction.





I have now arrived in the spot that is quite dense with shade and am just getting myself settled to rest and take some photos.


I really loved the cool of this spot and was just capturing all the beauty that was around me...




...And had thought to myself that I would have a cup of coffee while I rested when I heard someone say hello. I turned to see a biker and pulled my walker off the trail onto the grass right there. She stopped and we chatted about many things.


During our conversation I had seen a blue heron fly by, but not having my camera ready I missed getting a shot of him. Very shortly after that I spotted a large bird swoop upwards and park on a bare tree that is across from where we were resting. I got the camera out and started taking photos of it. I thought it was an eagle, but the biker said she thought it was an osprey. Not being sure I started taking photos of it.






Somewhere in the course of taking the photos of the Osprey, I had to change my batteries. My friend asked me if I had batteries, and I replied that yes, I had left home with 20 extras with me. But my fear was that the Osprey would fly away while I was changing the batteries, but thank God, he didn't. And I just kept on shooting.




Although it is hard to detect, he is sitting in that bare tree across the river from where we are.


My friend took off on her bike and I started to head further toward the end for me, the beginning of the trail in St. Jacobs. I kept taking photos, and my friend soon disappeared into the further regions of the trail.




The next time I looked at the tree the Osprey had flown away. I thought, "Aw shucks. I so wanted to capture him flying." However that was not to be that day.


It is surprising how evening starts to creep in about 4:30ish now that fall is here. Although it was still summer the day I was out there, it didn't take long to have long shadows of evening encroaching on me.


I knew I needed to keep moving as the last bus that leaves Elmira, and comes through St. Jacobs is destined to arrive approximately 7:19pm at the stop that I was aiming at being at to catch it. The cost of cab fare was too prohibitive for me to even consider. And at this time I had absolutely no idea how far I had travelled, or even how much further I had to go.




Right in the foreground of this photo is a post with the electric wire attached to it. And the bare tree in the distance is bare of the birds that had been there earlier.




Then the meadow opened up and was a large expanse of green with more trees some distance away.


And the river was still close by.












It looks like these are young trees as they have protection against the possibility of the cattle damaging them and the electric fence was out closer to the water.




What I found interesting was that I kept coming to inclines but no steep ascents that I had to make. Had I come the other way that would not have been the case.


The path is widening a bit, so I'm beginning to wonder how close I am getting to the expressway bridge.


...But before that occurs, I will enjoy the late afternoon beauty all around me.








And then I was able to see a good length of the river from where I was standing.


One more look back and then charge forward.






















Flowers in a field make it even more beautiful than just weeds and grass.


This pond was a surprise to me and I just had to try to capture it. The sun was becoming a bit more difficult to avoid having it make my picture blown out or the colour purple.


I don't know if you can see the wire fence, but that is one way I knew I was still in the pasture/meadow.












These birch trees were just a few but I don't remember seeing any up to this point.












It seemed to be my day to capture birds. I know the picture is not as clear as it might be, but these geese were doing a good job of hiding in the reeds or weeds and I was not able to capture them as much as they did this.




When I saw this bench and fire pit, it made me wonder if the farmer, on whose land I was came out here at night and had a bonfire. It is a beautiful spot to do so.




And then I came to the gate that lets me leave the pasture/meadow into the last stretch of the trail.




Although it is not very visible, the bridge is just a few hundred yards ahead.








I had mentioned that there were a lot of Canada Geese on the river. Here is a whole gaggle of geese congregated in one spot.






The bridge is getting to be more visible. One of the things I do remember from my online information on Google is that I only have 1.5km/0.93miles to go to downtown St. Jacobs once I'm at the bridge.






Looking back to see how far I have come, but because the trail is anything but straight, I could only see a few yards behind me.




Canada Geese sunning themselves.


At this point I started picking up my pace, and it was easier as the path here was wider and not as difficult to navigate as the narrow paths had been before the pasture/meadow.


























After 799 photos, I've made it to the bridge.


One of the things I noticed once I was under the bridge in the shade, where I stopped, ate and had a drink, was that there actually was some beautiful colour in the trees.


Across the river is another farm.


This is a closer shot of the buildings.


At the base of the bridge and facing toward St. Jacobs.


Interesting writing on the bridge pillars.


YUP!!! I made it this far and it is just after 5pm. Almost 6 hours so far, and still another ??? to go. I'm up to it and raring to go as I see the trail widen and easier to traverse.


Some lovely colour, and I like the reflection in the river from the sky and trees.


The trail as it wends its way under the bridge that is causing the shadow across it.




More beauty with the bridge as part of it.












This spot is not visible from the expressway but is beautiful, evening in the late afternoon light.


On the other side of the trees on the right in the previous photo there is a trail that leads to the area of the St. Jacobs Market in the north end of Waterloo. I could have taken that and been home a lot sooner, but it is wide open and everybody using the expressway could see me too.


There was a trail that I was able to get closer to the river and intersects with the trail in the previous picture. This, and a few more photos were taken from this spot. Again I could have used my cane had I had it along.






When I came back up to the HVT, I saw that we had an open meadow again and I started for familiar territory.
















As it is getting close to evening I am seeing my shadow when I was taking the pictures.


It felt great that I had made it this far so I had to take a selfie of myself and the river and bridge behind me.


There was a bench here that I sat on and took a rest, as well as a whole bunch of photos.


The bench as I am looking back. The plaque is about Ospreys.


I used these two trees to frame a portion of the bridge from this distance. That bridge is approximately 250m/273yds from where I was standing.


The river takes a sharp northward turn right about here.






Because of the shadows caused by the trees that shelter the trail, and the lowering sun, it seems later than it actually is.


As a result, I'm checking my phone more frequently to ascertain that I will not miss the last bus.


I'm going to have to ask my daughter if, when I need to, I were to move to St. Jacobs what she would think about it. That won't happen until they run the Waterloo to Elmira buses seven days a week and also evenings.










Here I am getting closer to St. Jacobs and I'm starting to get hungry.










I'm not sure what other's call evening, but to me it is 5:30pm or later. At this point that was what the clock on my camera, which is set for DST in the Eastern Region, says that it is.




As I was walking along the trail and into St. Jacobs, I discovered that there is a dog park just off the trail. I wonder if the people that I met with dogs were going there to walk their dogs.


These pines are beautiful and I just had to capture them in my pictures.


The only thing that I find evergreen trees do, other than look beautiful when they are smaller, is to produce mosquitoes by the score. I didn't take a lot of time walking through here for that very reason.


These trees are closely planted.














I found this tree interesting and just had to capture it.



The closer to St. Jacobs I get, the more open spaces are here. I was just getting too tired by this point to explore closer to the river in these areas.





















Some fallen and rotted logs just off the trail.


There was a bit of yellow showing in the trees ahead.



A closeup of the leaves once I got closer.














I was able to see the river again as the trees were not so thick along this part of the trail. And another shadow selfie. lol




And still another bench.


From the location of that bench I was able to see some great views as it was on a bit of raised ground.


I always see purple flowers and these were just so magnificent against the green backdrop.






I was sitting on my walker taking a picture of these beautiful flowers and in the distant background I could hear the church bells of the Lutheran church in town playing the hymn, "For The Beauty Of The Earth". I thought to myself, how appropriate and divinely directed is that. Here is a beautiful rendition of that hymn for you to listen to: "For the Beauty of the Earth"


I could faintly hear the chimes and that indicated to me that it must be 6pm. Not that I had ever heard this before. I had also not been in St. Jacobs to my remembrance at that hour.


I had to capture a closeup of the glads as they are one of my favourite flowers.





This is another angle of the same flowerbed. And I will be sharing my final 800metres/875yards with you tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment