Tuesday 2 October 2018

A Covered Bridge in Guelph?

Last Saturday I went to Guelph, Ontario, with my friend Jan and on the way she asked if I had ever seen the covered bridge there. I told her, no, as I didn't even know it existed.

On the way to Guelph we drove through the countryside, and I did what I call drive-by shooting. As it is autumn now I was able to capture a lot of beautiful scenery that depicts autumn in my area of the world. The sky was also very picturesque, with all the clouds that were in a perfect blue sky.


The trees were also showing a bit of autumn colour.



The corn was showing signs of being ripe enough to be cut soon.



At one point we were driving behind the Region of Waterloo airport and a small plane was coming in for a landing.



Here is some more autumn colour and cloudy skies.




I love being in the country and seeing the older farm buildings. Here is one of many I saw that day.


This one has some beautiful coloured trees behind the barn.



There is a bridge coming up just over the hill.



And then we came up to the bridge.


Soon after that, we came to a farm where there was some John Deere equipment in the field and I just had to capture it with my camera.



There was a white fence along the fields and along the road.



More autumn colour.




As we came into Guelph, there were some motorcyclists waiting at the same light as we did.


We pulled into a park along the Eramosa river and got out to take some photos. Here are some of them.









There were some geese in this park.











There were groomed walking paths along the riverfront as well.






Not knowing this area of Guelph at all I had no idea that we were literally across the street from the Covered Bridge that we were trying to find. After some driving around we found the parking lot by the Royal Recreation Trail and York Road Park. It is here that you can see the entrance to the Covered Bridge.


As I was using my walker I would need to use the ramp that is shown to the right here so I could actually cross the bridge. It is great when artifacts like this have access for people who are physically challenged. There are still far too many places where that is not the case.


A view of the bridge and the symmetry of the woodwork inside. It is made with wooden pegs instead of bolts and screws. This view of the bridge is from the York Road side, looking toward Gordon Street.



The above photo is of the Speed River that comes down to the Eramosa River in the photo below, but the Covered Bridge is over the Speed River to my right as I took this bottom photo of these two.


Another photo of the inside of the bridge.


Looking out to the York Road Park from the entrance of the bridge.


As I walked across the bridge I took pictures up the Speed River and down to the Eramosa River. There was a lot of beauty and autumn was starting to show off its colours.






On one of the upright pillars of the bridge I saw this drawing of the bird.





In this particular photo you can see the wooden joints that hold the bridge together.


After we crossed the bridge we stopped to catch photos in each direction from the bridge.


This one was taken off the ramp on the Gordon Street side of the Covered Bridge.


The ramp, looking up it from the bottom.


This was taken to the Eramosa River side of the bridge.


The river worked as a mirror for the clouds that were showing above.


This Canada Goose was standing on the bottom of the river here. That shows how shallow it was.


You will see a lot of reflections in my photos here. It was a perfect day for this kind of photography.


There was quite a bit of activity by paddlers on the Eramosa River while we were there.


Two mallards that came begging. I don't carry food for them.


This is where the Speed River and Eramosa River join.


Then the Eramosa River proceeds down into Royal City Park.


More paddlers on the Eramosa River.


As we walked toward the Boathouse Tea Room, I looked to my right and saw the church depicted in the centre of this picture. I have been inside it before and wanted to get a shot of it from this angle.


In earlier photos I had the Gordon Street bridge from the other side. Now I was able to get it from the other side. That red tree to the left stuck out among all the other trees because it was flaunting its red dress. lol


The view north along the Eramosa River.


As we had our ice cream, Jan with her cone and my bowl of Vegan Maple Cinnamon Ice Cream, we sat at a picnic table that was place right near the river.


Here are a few more pictures along the rivers before we got back to the bridge to check out the other side of the bridge, along the Eramosa River.







A picture of the Covered Bridge from the Eramosa River side.


Some Graffiti on the bridge abutment.









The Gordon Street end of the Covered Bridge.

You can see the lattice work on this bridge in some of these photos.

I caught a seagull in flight here so I just had to include this shot in my writing here.


There was a photoshoot going on in the bridge so we hurried to get out of their way. As we came out, I noticed how scenic the top of the ramp was and took a picture down it.


We saw this sign when we parked here earlier but I didn't take a photo till now.


You will get to see quite a bit of the Eramosa River as we move along here.



And then we took some paths closer to the river than the groomed path. Here is one of them and what I saw because I dared to go down there.













This part of the path down closer to the water was a bit more navigable than the other part. I kept going back to the groomed trail as I could not always get through with the walker.


But then when the path led down to the river again I would venture down there.














Here you can see the difference between the groomed and rough path.









And then we discovered a bench where we were able to look out at this beautiful scenery.













One last look and photo before we head back to the car.


This is a view at York Road Park beauty.



Trees to the left of us, park to the right of us.



Jan and I in a selfie with the river behind us.




One more view of the Bridge.




A plaque about the bridge.


We did a bit more walking around the bridge to the York Road side.








And then we were heading back to Kitchener, and home.




















I just want to thank Jan for this trip and the chance to see new things. Now to get ready for the next chapter of exploration.

2 comments:

  1. very pretty as usual, i need to get some shooting done soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your pictures are so beautiful Annie!! Thanks for sharing such a lovely variety of photos showing God’s amazing creation! 😇

    ReplyDelete