Monday 15 October 2018

Owen Sound, Hibou Conservation Area, and Leith Beauty

In my last writing I spoke of arriving at Owen Sound. Today I'm writing about the time we were in Owen Sound, the drive to Hibou Conservation Area, and then through Leith. Many of the places we were I had never been to before in my life.

The sky was still overcast but the mist had lifted as we came into Owen Sound. It was the first time I'd been there since 1994.


I had forgotten that Owen Sound was so hilly.


We parked by the Marine and Rail museum and walked along the trail that is right down by the Inner Harbour and close to the water. This was one of the first things I saw and captured.


That first one was a closeup shot and this one is a more distant shot, with a lot of reflections in the water, including the clouds.


The inner harbour is not very wide and from the side we were on we could see the far side reflected in the water.




Some of the displays set out at the Marine and Rail Museum.




As we were strolling along, I noticed this ship's propeller there.



And then I saw the plaque about it.


Some beauty right there.


It was a nice walk and it is beautiful, even though there were buildings that could mar the site.








There were a bunch of Canada Geese swimming back and forth across the narrow span of water.








And then we spied a sailboat out in the harbour area.



A zoom shot of the sailboat.







































Across from us there was a fire truck sitting along the pier on the other side.




There was a pier that stuck out into the water and it was wide enough, and sturdy enough for me to walk out to the end of it and take a few shots from there.


Here you can see how shallow it is.




Here we were getting closer to that building ahead, but we didn't go that far.









At this time we were returning toward where we had parked.











And then we found the ChiCheemaun, or at least this thing.






And there was a boat coming into the inner harbour too.


There was a seagull posing for me and I caught it before it flew away.


A couple of miles up the road from Owen sound, along the bay front, we came to Hibou Conservation Area.




There was a picnic area there where we ate our lunch before exploring.


Georgian Bay comes in close to the area where we were.



There were quite a few birch trees around here.



Because of the winds that day there were some beautiful waves to be seen.















Here I was down closer to the Bay and capturing waves.








I love the way the breakers are rolling in here.



I had parked the walker and walked down closer to the water, even though I didn't have my cane with me.


This is why I could not take the walker down that far.



As I was coming back I found this snail shell.


...And these coloured leaves.


Looking back toward the picnic pavilion from the spot I was taking photos of the waves.


As I turned around I saw a few nice breakers coming in.















From there I walked around and found another path down to the water's edge. But before that I took a few pictures around the picnic area.






There were a lot of seagulls sitting on rocks and I just had to capture them.




I had to get a selfie with a birch tree behind me.



When I walked down there I was able to take the walker down much closer this time.











The path up to the parking lot from where I had taken the last few photos.




A parking area where a pile of picnic tables is kept.


Colour around the parking area.





On my way through the above path I saw this flower and just had to capture it.





There were not many people around that day. I don't know if the weather had anything to do with it. Even the people who brought their dogs for a walk made quick work of it and left.


And then we left and went to see what else was along the road along Georgian Bay.


As we came into Leith, we discovered this beauty right there and pulled over to capture the beauty.


There is the bridge that we had just crossed.










And then we were headed out of the small community.









As we drove along we met with beautiful colour and open country air.






And then we were on Bayshore Road, heading into the wilderness.


















Except for the occasional far, it reminded me of the roads I travelled on two years ago up north in the area my sister lives in.








As I said, wilderness.
















At one point we had stopped and got out of the car, just to stretch our legs.





















Even on these back roads there were power lines which told us that there were people living or working in this remote part of our province.








And then we were out into a more open area.


And beautiful farm buildings.












So on and on we go, to who knows where, and will continue to the point that we decided it was time to head toward home. Meantime...

No comments:

Post a Comment