Thursday 18 October 2018

Idlewood Park PhotoWalk

Sometimes the decision one makes to do something, regardless of what else is waiting to be done at home is worth the tiredness afterwards, and also the beauty that has been captured by my camera. Although I still had 455 photos to edit for September 30th, I decided to go for a walk today to capture some of the beauty near my home before the leaves are all blown off the trees.

Originally I was undecided where I would go for that walk as I know several places that there are trees that will be in flaming array and displaying all their beauty, but when I was on the city bus, I noticed some beauty where we were passing and stopping to let someone else off. I made the decision to get off and capture the colour I had seen from the bus.

The decision took me a different path than I was thinking I might go, but the beauty I discovered was worth every minute. I left home at 12:45pm and started on my walk at 1:08pm and ended 2 hours later, with a total of 564 photos that i took with both my camera and my phone.

When I left home it was cloudy and the weather channel suspected it might rain. I did take my rain cape with me, just in case, but by the time I got home the skies had turned a nice blue, with white clouds in it. The darker weather came in later, but I was home, safe and warm. At the outset I had not planned to walk though Idlewood Park, but it was quite windy and cool, so I figured the shelter of the trees would be a benefit, and it really was. I don't regret it for one minute that I took that path, and in total walked 4km/2.5 miles.

While I was waiting for the bus I saw some red flowers in the flowerbed near me. I wasn't sure what they were but decided to capture them and find out later. They are beautiful begonias.



As we were approaching this intersection I saw this beautiful colour and decided to get off the bus and head in that direction.


The one thing I like about this intersection is that there is a walk signal that can be pressed to provide ease of crossing the five lanes of traffic that can be difficult to navigate otherwise.


This campus looks so different than it did 60 years and more ago. But I'll bet the trees that provided me with so much colour were there back then too.


One of the things I love is that I could walk into areas that had some beautiful colour. In doing so, I stayed on public walkways and driveways, never going on lawns to obtain the beauty I saw.








































This is a different angle of the trees I had first spotted.



I saw some gorgeous colour back here and decided to walk down the driveway to get a shot of it without buildings in my way.



Most of this tree was hidden behind a house but I decided to zoom in to capture the beauty that was not hidden.



This maple has a very different colour in its leaves.







The sky looked quite threatening at this point and I was definitely wondering if I should turn around and go home, but I persisted when I saw the colour down into the area exposed here.


This is one spot that I deviated off the direct path I was on to get to the street that I ended up on.



This vine stuck out to be captured because of its bright, flashy colours.


More beauty on the outside of Idlewood Park can be seen here.







When I got back to the sidewalk that led to a pathway to River Road, I came upon a house that had some flowers that just begged to be photographed.



This house had begonias too.


And more roses, these are red.


And Dahlias.







And soon I came to the path that takes me to River Road and to the colour that I knew I would find as I had seen it the last couple of weeks as I rode to church.



The sky didn't have any indication that it would clear and have white, instead of grey clouds.


Although the blue was starting to push its way in.



As I walked along on the shoulder of the street as there is no sidewalk along Idlewood Park, I would take a few steps, sit down and capture what I was seeing.







It took me a lot longer to get the photos I wanted as I was taking pictures and trying not to capture the traffic, which was more time consuming than taking the pics.















 




And then I found this trail into Idlewood Park, but I was not planning at this point yet to even walk in further than the entrance.
















And then I saw this hawk.










I was sitting on my walker here when I saw that car pull off the road and the lady in it walk toward me. I had no idea what she wanted, but she told me she was concerned that I was okay. When I told her that I was just resting and taking photos she was very relieved to the point that I could see her relief. I thanked her for caring and stopping. That was the first time that has ever happened.


After she left I made my way closer to the entrance to Idlewood Park, still not sure if I would continue on past it or not.





I was sitting at the entrance on my side of River Road when I took the next couple of photos. My feet were feeling cool as I only had sandals on and it was getting cooler by the hour.





And as I turned and looked into the park, I made the decision to walk in further and because the wind was not as strong in there, I decided to go further and continue till I got home.


And it was so beautiful. The following photos are only a sampling of what I actually took as I walked and snapped my way through the park.



These boulders are at the entrance.







As you will see, there are fallen trees, stumps, and also greenery all along the way.


















The path through Idlewood park is not a straight one.








If I had wanted to, I could have entered onto the path ahead where you see the path leading off to the left. I come in from where I had been earlier.




One of these days I'm going to explore that path again.


So I continued on the path that leads to the right.


As I was standing here a blue jay flew past me and landed in the tree just to my right. I got a couple of shots of him before he flew away.









As I walked along I met up with several people who biked, mopeded, and walked along the trails.










These leaves didn't land on my walker seat like this but they did fall right in front of me as I was walking. So I grabbed them and put them on here to capture them with my camera.




There was fungus on many of the fallen logs and stumps, but this was so beautiful that I took time to capture a clear shot of it.












This fallen tree looks like it is giving a thumbs up.































When I looked up and saw all this colour I just had to capture it.
















A friend from church and I walked together for the last couple of hundred feet and this was the end of the trail. We both were going in the same direction from here.


When we came up on the street, this was what I saw.



When I came to the entrance to the property where I live I walked in and saw some beauty almost immediately.


I don't live in this building.


On the left is a smoke spot.


There was soooo much beautiful colour that had happened in the last short while and I took full advantage of it.





























And then I finally came around my building and into the yard that is below my apartment.


I took a number of pictures of the colour I could see from there.


And I saw the tree that has a red mark at its root. It is dead and I wondered if it was going to be cut down, not realizing the very next day they would cut it down.


I was too tired and cold to walk any further, so I took a picture before going into the building.


There is some kale and other things in the raised gardens here. And there were a lot of leaves on the ground as well.



No comments:

Post a Comment